AnLar is looking for a highly motivated and passionate individual to provide leadership, direct technical assistance, and business process improvement for data governance and management projects for federal agency clients, including the U.S. Department of Education and Health and Human Services. Candidates with experience supporting Evidence Act requirements or data catalog systems are strongly preferred. We are looking to add an independent, disciplined problem-solver to help our rapidly growing team of people doing influential data coordination work within federal agencies. This position will provide direct technical assistance and support to two federal agency-wide data cataloging efforts as well as support other federal or state data initiatives focused on business process improvement and strategic planning.
AnLar’s benefits package is a reflection of our commitment to putting our people first. Our benefits include generous paid vacation time; competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance; a monthly wellness stipend; an annual professional development stipend; a volunteer matching program; and a 401K match, among others. This position can be fully remote, however preference will be given to candidates in the Washington, D.C. metro area.
Who we are:
AnLar is a multidisciplinary team of adept, dedicated, kind-hearted people striving to have a positive effect on the areas of life they’re most passionate about ─ education, equity, health, and so on. We are researchers and seekers, consultants and communicators, problem solvers, and partners. In industry-speak, one could say we specialize in work such as creating modernized data systems, supporting change management, conducting research and evaluation, providing technical assistance, and exploring the depths of this work further through visual communications design. Based in the DC area with remote staff all over the US (and a few abroad), we at AnLar value strong relationships, thoughtful and creative approaches, hard work and grit, and the overall wellbeing of our team. All in all, we want to be able to feel good about the work we do, how we do it, and with whom we collaborate. Join us?
What the Job Entails:
This position will work on a variety of projects focused on data governance, data system and collection management, and other policy topics related to federal and state data management. Depending on the candidate’s expertise and interest, additional project opportunities could be included in this position’s responsibilities, including early childhood, special education, or human services data technical assistance.
- Data Governance Lead: Serving as the data governance lead on two federal projects, both supporting the development and maintenance of agency-wide metadata catalogs. This role will design documentation and record maintenance processes, and collaborate with federal staff to populate or update metadata records.
- Project Leadership and Coordination: This includes the coordination with clients, content experts, AnLar project managers, and senior AnLar staff to identify, develop and manage the implementation of technical assistance projects addressing client needs. Track project progress during implementation; monitor project timelines and coordinate with clients and content experts.
- Technical Assistance: Provide federal clients technical assistance and supports to improve their internal data governance processes, including improved coordination across federal data systems in support of Evidence Act requirements. Additional opportunities may include providing technical assistance and supports to states to establish or improve data governance for early childhood, special education, human services data, or other opportunities, are based on individual expertise.
- Database and Development Consultation: Provide database and system design recommendations and oversee system development and implementation for federal metadata catalog and other federal and state clients.
- Internal Coordination and Process Improvement: Serve as AnLar data governance lead, reviewing data governance practices across AnLar’s projects to ensure consistency in how we support our clients and improve our internal data governance process to improve data quality, and transparency, and use at AnLar.
- Staff Supervision: Oversee the work of one or more AnLar staff including project managers, TA specialists, support staff, and interns to develop their professional capacity, provide direction and guidance, and support the organization and delivery of their work.
- Business development: Support the team in identifying opportunities for AnLar to expand its service offerings by supporting proposal writing and developing relationships with clients and potential funders.
- Other activities: Collaborate with and review the work of colleagues to generate ideas and ensure the development of high-quality delivery of their work.
What skill set we’re looking for:
We are looking for individuals with experience supporting federal data collections and systems, as well as designing and implementing data governance policies.
- Creativity within bureaucracy: You are able to identify creative solutions and develop meaningful processes that accomplish project goals within restrictive or inflexible working environments such as federal agencies. You enjoy learning ways to approach work, and you adapt these new approaches to existing processes.
- Solution-oriented: You are able to proactively identify issues as well as develop potential solutions to project challenges or areas of improvement. You rely on others for input and feedback but always provide potential solutions to identified issues, even if they’re not perfectly conceptualized initially.
- Relationship building: You are able to build genuine relationships with clients and your project team. You are driven to figure out what the client needs (not just what they want) in collaboration with your team. You value strong working relationships with others.
- Making meaning: You are able to effectively use data to help inform decisions and draw meaningful insights for clients. This includes designing and completing evaluations, needs assessments, and ongoing improvement to systems and processes.
- Communicating effectively. You tailor your communication to different audiences effectively (internal communication, clients, other stakeholders, etc.). You are an active listener who is able to remain responsive and flexible in challenging situations.
- Planning and proactivity. You are able to prioritize multiple activities based on client and/or teammate needs while remaining flexible. Dependable and organized, you seek out creative ways to proactively solve problems and expand on what is working.
Who the right candidate is:
- 6 or more years of expertise in data governance, business process development, project management, and the content related to AnLar’s projects (federal data management, early childhood systems, early intervention, early childhood special education, and special education).
- Project direction and leadership experience.
- Skilled facilitator with experience in both large and small group meetings to achieve particular goals.
- Strong interest in change management, business process improvement, and increasing federal program improvement, data access, use, and transparency.
- Coachable and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- Someone who loves puns and won’t mind being referred to as an “AnLarian”.
- A team player. You step up when someone needs help, follow through on commitments, and are willing to go the extra mile for your team and our clients.
- Committed to building an inclusive and equitable environment at AnLar. You are ready to engage in conversations about diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Preferred, but not required:
- Previous federal government experience as a direct or contracted employee, including data system management, grant program support, technical assistance provider, or other related roles.
- Familiarity with the Evidence Act of 2018
- Database design and system testing experience.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, or anything else that makes you stand out.
In your cover letter, please include one paragraph on which of AnLar’s core values resonates most with you and why.
Diversity is valued and inclusion is reflected in our efforts to recruit, develop, and engage the diverse staff needed to accomplish our mission. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.